General

Electrical fire sparks evacuation at war veterans home

The Fire and Emergency Services Authority has praised staff at an RSL home in Menora for their quick evacuation of the centre after a malfunction in a resident’s bathroom fan caused a fire.

A 90-year-old woman was treated for smoke inhalation, but there were no other serious injuries.

Fire and Emergency Services Authority spokeswoman Melissa Cooper said staff evacuated residents before firefighters arrived at the centre, on Alexander Dve.

“The staff here quickly responded to the alarm going off. They’ve removed the occupant, they’ve shut the door and they’ve evacuated most of the people in the area to an adjacent area of the building, so their reponse is very quick,” she told ABC Radio.

The fire caused $75,000 damage to the building and was the result of an electrical spark in the fan.

Categories: General

Tagged as: ,